Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Sugar High....

At the end of December, my doctor told me I'm insulin resistant or prediabetic.  I took this really seriously.  For about two days.  Sigh.

I don't want to be like the teachers and mothers I see who are exhausted by the time they're 50.  Their bodies are done and you can tell.  And it would seem I have some genetic predisposition for some fairly serious medical conditions.  But only if I let them become that serious.

So starting tomorrow (the beginning of lent) I am joining a friend and giving up white carbs (sugar, rice, potatoes) until March 30th.  Drastic measures are needed, even if I don't feel ready.

Food has been my oldest and most consistent friend.  It is comfort and sensation and happiness.  Today, I ate a chocolate bar for breakfast as a token of my goodbye. Time to find new sources of solace.

No comments:

Post a Comment