Monday, February 4, 2013

Update on the weekend (plus a cool poem!)

This weekend was great.  Friday night we watched Hotel Transylvania with the girls.  I laughed all the way through it.  I completely expected it to be lame and ended up loving it.  The girls watched it twice over the weekend.  And I don't care what you say.  I like Adam Sandler.


On Saturday we dropped the girls off with their granny and went to the temple together.  It was a much needed break where we could focus on more than the daily minutia of our lives.

Starting Saturday night and into Sunday I made Cafe Rio's Pork Barbecoa salads for the Mister's family.  Y'all, it was good.  I was totally popular. That Heidikins knows her stuff.

And today, I remembered about this poem that I have loved since college.  It's so full of female energy.  Lucille Clifton is such a great poet.  Hear her read it here.

Homage to My Hips

Lucille Clifton

these hips are big hips.
they need space to
move around in.
they don't fit into little
petty places. these hips
are free hips.
they don't like to be held back.
these hips have never been enslaved,
they go where they want to go
they do what they want to do.
these hips are mighty hips.
these hips are magic hips.
i have known them
to put a spell on a man and
spin him like a top 

3 comments:

  1. So glad the dinner turned out!

    Also, that poem is awesome. Love.

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. That poem. Seriously. Thanks for the evening read. I will definitely be looking into her more, thank you. :) You are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this one too. (I miss you.) http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/179617

      Delete