Wednesday, April 24, 2013

These boots were made for walking.

Except I didn't wear boots.

I need more alone time.  I need to figure out how to work it into my day.  I'm too introverted to stay sane spending entire days without one second alone.  I re-realized this yesterday when the first moment I felt able to fully breathe was when I turned the deadbolt in the super fancy handicap bathroom stall in the downtown Harmons.    I spend all day with hundred of eighth graders, ride a bus full of people home, and go straight home to family.

I know myself well enough to know that trying to get some alone time after work isn't reliable.  So today, my alarm went off at 5 am and I managed to get out of bed 10 minutes later.  I threw on some clothes, put the dog in her kennel, and went on a 20 minute walk before the sun came fully up.  And other than feeling kind of weird that I was up that early and not running, it felt great.  I got to listen to the birds and stare at the stars and generally just spend some time with just me and my body.

My goal is to continue this.  Even a 5am rise time is worth it, if it helps me relax throughout the day.  Small and simple is how it starts, right?

1 comment:

  1. That sounds heavenly. Remember when I used to go swimming at 5a.m.? I should totally start doing that again.

    ReplyDelete